Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Teen responsibility advice?

How can I get my 15 yr old son to be more responsible? I have to remind him to do just about everything or else he won't do it. From studying, to cleaning, to doing projects for school, etc. It seems as if he cant do anything without me reminding him. I stopped reminding him for awhile, and all his grades started to go down cause he stopped studying cause I wasn't reminding him. He seriously does NOTHING without me reminding him. I've threatened him and said if he doesn't become more responsible he won't be driving, still NO change! Please help??Teen responsibility advice?
start grounding him.. if he doesnt keep the grades.. all his privelages are gone.Teen responsibility advice?
What is he doing in place of doing homework and cleaning? Try taking that stuff away from him if he doesn't start taking his own responsibilities. But you also have to remember that he is 15, this is still young and expected to be reminded of things and asked to do stuff. I guess what I am trying to say is don't try to push him into doing this stuff all at once, let him go into it slowly.
i was the same way for awhile, until my mom started taking everything away from me, she also made me pack all my stuff up to where i only had my clothes, and bed (blanket and pillows of course) nothing else no alarm clock so i couldn't listen to music no phone, nothing. i also couldn't go any where no friends over either. that really sucked, but if that doesn't work he may have a learning problem or something else, we found out i had ADD and ADHD and that ended up solving a lot of problems. good luck
Sounds like me.... if you said 18 instead of 15 i'd be saying ';dad....?';


Make him do everything himself, don't wash or iron his clothes, don't tidy his room, don't pack his school lunch or something. give him warning that you're doing this though, and ignore the strops.


I reckon that'd work with me. though if he was me, i'd wear mucky clothes 'till he went out somewhere.





P.S Don't CONSTANTLY nag him, that makes me worse and usually puts me in a crappy mood for the rest of the day. And putting it all on his hrades is a bad idea, sometimes kids struggle with the preassure of high expectations, just as long as he passes though.





Could use incentives? i.e ';wash the pots and you can stay out an extra half an hour'; or something.
Sounds like a 15 yr old boy to me. I think the problem isn't that he needs to be reminded, I think the problem may be that you don't feel like you should have to remind him. Eventually you won't have to remind him any more so for now just enjoy the fact that when you do remind him to do something he will do it.
Let him see the real world. You and him can switch lives. Make him do everything in the house and pretend he has a job. Or he can get a job and balance school, home and a job. Give him a taste of life a bit, that will let him learn. What my mom did with me was call the boot camp place and my name is still on the list for a year. You can do that. It sure scared me, so it could work for your son.
for me, being a 15 yr old. it helps so much to have a list of things my mom wants me to do. personally i have the worst memory EVEr. i feel bad because my mom thinks i just dont want to do it...i just forget. give him little tests see if he can make it on his own. my mom sometimes would let me down to show me how it affects her. My parents never let me down for picking me up from practice or making my lunch in the morning. its kind of like a reality check. it helped me become more responsible. or a weekly job around the house, something every week like clean the windows or just taking the trash out. good luck!
I was like that when I was a teen...It wasn't that I didn't want to do the things I was suppose to do. I just had so much going through my mind all the time...It was weird...But kids hormones at that age are all crazy...Well what I do with my kid is...Make her accountable for the things she is suppose to do...such as no allowance if her room and chores aren't done. Just like if you do a crappy job at work you get fired...Plus If I have to ground her she does Math problems and sit ups %26amp; push ups...I was in the army for a while...That is what straightened me up.
well. these things arent the first things that comes to his mind when he gets home from school. same way i used to be. i used to have chores like taking out the litter box, and garbage, etc. but i would always forget because they werent that important to me. but when i started getting paid. i started thinking, in order to get that money friday, i need to do so and so. and thats when i started to actually do my chores. relate something that isnt important to him to something that is.
My Son is a visual learner so any amount of me 'telling him' fell on deaf ears.





So, I put a picture on the fridge of things for him to do each day and the reward at the end of the week. I didn't say anything but he GOT it right away.





Maybe this could work for you? Best wishes
Cut off his allowance if he's getting any, and make him work. If his school grades drop, he should be grounded and not allowed out with friends. If he doesn't clean his room, lol just pick a punishment. Tough love is the only way to learn.
well, i am 14 and i guess that i am the same way.


my dad is ALWAYS getting angry at me for not doing things..


i usually put those things on my 'to do' list, but no matter how much i intend to do them, they barely ever get done!


im thinking its just a phase?



My brother has ADHD/ADD. He NEVER studies, has failing grades, never does anything around the house unless reminded, and he dropped out because he could not handle school. I would get him checked for ADHD/ADD.





Hope this helped.(:
Turn the TV off, cancel the satellite or cable, take away the video games - that should do the trick!
There's a chance he has ADD. But if not, have a stern talk. Or, slowly stop reminding him. Make him right down his assignments in a book if he doesn't already.
Take away something he cant live without, he will shape up really quickly.
it's all jsut part of being a young teen. Let him deal with the consequences himself rather than keeping on him too much.
sounds like ..ADD.... attention deficit disorder
make him get a job








also you need to remember he is 15 they grow out of this so just hold on
stop eminding him stop doing anything to him then you'll see that he really needs you
Part time job.
hahaha im the exact same way....





theres probably not much u can do though
Sooner or later he will have a reality check and shapen up. I'm 15 and I'm a junior in high school and my freshmen and junior year weren't the best and I got a complete realty check from like teachers and my grandma on how if I don't study or do homework I'll turn into a bum and have no money to buy a car and end up flipping burgers and wont be able to play video games or buy a house and all that stuff. I only clean my room when I feel like organizing that but I understand the messy room thing. I don't think it's that big of a deal.Once it gets dirty enough he's bound to clean it sooner or later. Just don't ground him.Grounding made me worse and more rebellious so just sit him down, make him feel a little bad (as in like a guilt trip) and then give him a reality check. He'll shape up soon. Also if he plays video games a lot, take that away. It's extremely distracting. Put it in a high closet. He'll be so bored he'll have nothing to do besides watch TV and study. Or you can find a way for studying to be fun by his interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment